SPRINGFIELD – Area libraries will be able to purchase new materials with the help from the state of Illinois. The "Back to Books" program gives 11 local public libraries the opportunity to purchase educational resources for a wide array of specialty needs.
"Our libraries play a unique role in supporting our communities, which is why it is important for us to support them," Senator John Sullivan (D-Rushville) said. "Although these grants are small, they play a big role in helping our libraries offer new materials for training and community outreach."
Area libraries requested materials to help veterans make the transition from military to civilian life, training DVDs for fire departments, technical training resources and large-print retirement-related books for senior citizens. A growing population of French-speaking African immigrants, living in and around Galesburg, is just one group that will benefit from these grants. The Galesburg Public Library included French language resources in its application for funding.
"We have been ordering materials for them and just received a Back to Books grant of $3,000 to buy French materials for all ages," Galesburg Public Library Director Harriett Zipfel said. "Libraries respond to the needs of the communities they serve, each in their own unique ways."
The "Back to Books" program is an initiative from Secretary of State Jesse White's office funded by the Federal Institute of Museum and Library Services and the state's library funds.
"Our libraries perform so many essential tasks, but at their core what our libraries do best is make books and other materials available to patrons," White said.
Grants to libraries in Senate District 47
- Biggsville: Henderson County Public Library District
- Bushnell: Bushnell-Prairie City Community Unit School District #170
- Carthage: Carthage Public Library District
- Galesburg: Galesburg Public Library
- Macomb: Macomb Public Library District, Western Illinois University
- Monmouth: Warren County Public Library District
- Quincy: Blessing-Rieman College of Nursing, John Wood Community College, Quincy Public Library
- Table Grove: Vermont Ipava Table Grove Community Unit School District #2